What are the benefits of probiotics?
Probiotics are live microorganisms intended to provide health benefits when consumed by improving or restoring gut flora. Probiotics can balance the ratio of good-to-bad bacteria in the intestine and promote the production of digestive enzymes. Good probiotics can also improve immune function, and have a general anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
How does an unhealthy gut affect health?
Bad bacteria in our gut are constantly producing endotoxins, which the liver normally can take care of and detoxify.
However, an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the intestine leads to a high endotoxin production, which can irritate the intestinal cells making them release inflammatory mediators, leading to symptoms like irritable bowel syndrome with constipation and or diarrhea. A severe overgrowth of bad bacteria can also contribute to systemic inflammatory processes if the endotoxins leak to the blood, and bad intestinal bacteria can even evolve in ways that produce hypertension.
An imbalance of gut bacteria with an overgrowth of bad bacteria compared to good bacteria can lead to many symptoms:
- Digestive discomfort
- Impaired immune function
- Inflammatory processes in the body
- Hormonal disturbances
- Thyroid issues (low thyroid function)
- Skin problems (sensitive skin or rashes)
- High blood pressure
Since gut health is very important for overall body health, the use of probiotics can have long-ranging positive effects. But it is important to choose the right types of probiotics.
What are the best probiotics?
Not all probiotics are equal and according to Dr. Ray Peat, many of the probiotics on the market are not beneficial. According to Dr. Ray Peat, the probiotics that really work are the one that has antibiotics like function, killing unwanted bacteria, but without harming the good bacteria.
This guide provides information on:
- What are the common probiotic supplements?
- Why common probiotics are not useful?
- What types of probiotics actually work?
- How do useful probiotics affect gut flora?
- Where can I purchase useful probiotics?
- How to purchase a special useful probiotic that is only sold through practitioners?
- BiochemNordic’s discount for selected probiotics?