This dish is more than 100 years old and originally from the country site of Denmark. The name of the dish in Danish is Braendende Kearlighed and directly translated Braendende Kearlighed means Burning Love. This recipe is very simple as it only consists of a few ingredients, which are perfect for supporting your thyroid function, which is why we have chosen to present this great dish for you on Valentine’s day! Today, this dish is still served in many Danish homes and it is especially great for a cold and dark winter evening.
How to make burning love
Preparation time: 30 minutes
600 g (1.3 lb) baked potatoes
1 dl (2/5 cup) milk
25 g (1 oz) butter
200 g (7 oz) diced bacon
- Peel the baked potatoes and cut them in quarts.
- Boil the potatoes in unsalted water, until tender; this usually takes about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling; peel the onions and slice them finely.
- On a frying pan; fry the diced bacon until they are almost nice and crisp.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until they become soft, transparent and a little golden.
- When the potatoes are done; pour away the water and let them cool off a bit without the lid.
- Add the boiled potatoes into a large bowl and whip with butter and milk until all the potatoes are mashed. The consistency of the mash should be somewhat solid. Add salt to taste.
- Serve this dish with the mashed potatoes at the bottom and the bacon and onions as a topping, the fat from the frying pan are also used as a sauce. Sprinkle with a some chopped parsley.
Burning Love is traditionally served with pickled beetroots, these can be hard to find outside of Denmark, but in the United States, they can be found at the World Market stores.
Thyroid supporting diet
A normal western diet contains foods that directly suppress thyroid function both the production of the thyroid hormones, T4 and T3 but also the cell’s response to these hormones. By eliminating all the thyroid-suppressing foods and instead basing your diet only on foods that promote metabolism and a healthy hormonal balance, your thyroid function is strengthened.
You can learn more about Dr. Ray Peat’s thyroid promoting diet in BiochemNordic’s hypothyroid treatment program. Our diet advice will revolutionize the way you eat.
Hypothyroid treatment program
BiochemNordic’s hypothyroid treatment program teaches you the principles of our thyroid supporting diet, with easy to understand biochemical explanations for each diet recommendation. In addition, the program contains crucial information on hormonal support supplements, including thyroid replacement therapy, the use of natural anti-aging and anti-stress hormones, as well as helpful vitamins, minerals, and herbs.